Saturday, May 23, 2009

Mud Spring in Los Banos


















Visiting a friend, TaJane's blog and talking about Mount Makiling, I was drawn to a recollection of a time in my childhood when my family and I visited the Mud Spring in Los Banos. We went there when I was about 8 years old. It looked just like a small steamy stream of mud. I googled and found a picture on the net that most closely resembled the way I remember it from when I was 8 years old. (Not a very good picture, but should do for purpose of showing what I am talking about)


Later on, we heard people saying that the spring has widened and then later on, people say the spring was covered with concrete now - sowing fear of a possible eruption since the "heat" do not have an outlet anymore. But just knowing that every other house in Pansol and Los Banos of late has a private swimming pool for rent,and most of them boasting of hot water, I think there are plenty outlets there (but of course, we never know. If it erupts, it erupts -- like Mt Pinatubo did after being inactive for more than 500 years)

Growing up in the area, I never heard anyone suggesting that the mud spring could be a "crater" to a volcano - until later on when there had been reports (unconfirmed, though) of the "tawilis" fish being caught from the "Crocodile Lake" in Los Banos. (Tawilis is a fish variety that thrives only in sulfuric water --that's why they are found in abundance in waters near the Taal Lake)

It would be nice to be able to visit the spring again and see how it has changed over the years. Sometimes, we ignore places and things found in the place where we live. Until we move away and sort of "miss" them and we feel the desire to visit them again.
(But then again, I have avoided visiting because it makes me feel sad to see the house we built there and had to sell because of a dispute -- that's my jigsaw puzzle house that we slowly built from materials we gradually "collected" every pay day LOL )

But the "tawilis" and the jigsaw puzzle house are stories for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment