Thursday, January 22, 2009

One for you, One for me





As the story goes, on the outskirts of a small town, there was a big old, pecan tree just inside the cemetery fence. One day two guys filled up a bucketful of nuts and they sat down by the tree, out of sight and began dividing the nuts. “One for you, one for me, One for you, one for me.” But as they’re doing this, several dropped and rolled down toward the fence.

As they’re going about their business, a boy came riding along in a bicycle. As he passed, he thought he heard voices from inside the cemetery so he slowed down to investigate. Sure enough he heard, “One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.” He just knew what it was.

He jumped up on his bike, he rode off just around the bend. He met this elderly gentleman with a cane, kind of hobbling along and the boy said to the elderly gentleman, “Sir, come with me, quick. You won’t believe what I heard. Satan and the Lord are at the cemetery dividing up the souls.” The old man said, “Kid, can’t you see it’s hard for me to walk?” But the boy insisted so the man hobbled along to the cemetery with him.

Standing by the fence they heard, “One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me.” The old man whispered, “Boy, you’ve been telling the truth. Let’s see if we can see the Lord.”

Shaking with fear, they peered through the fence yet were still unable to see anything. The old man and the boy gripped the rod iron bar of the fence tighter and tighter as they tried to get a glimpse of the Lord.

At last they heard, “One for you, one for me. That’s all. Now let’s go and get those nuts by the fence and we’ll be done.”

No comments:

Post a Comment